In the fall of 2021, Brittany Hudson returns to St. Olave’s as our Child and Youth Minister and leader of our Junior Church program. Our program will resume September 12, following COVID-19 protocols set out in this checklist from the Diocese of Toronto.
- Trinity 16 (September 22, 2021)
- Trinity 15 (September 15, 2021)
- From March 2020 to June 2021, Martha Riddell, M. Div. produced downloadable lessons following the lectionary of the Book of Common Prayer. These are available here.
- Click on the image at right for a special lesson about the Bible.
Videos for young people
Sunday mornings during the 10:30 a.m. service, (excluding summer and Christmas break.)
Children are a welcome and very important part of St. Olave’s. Near the beginning of the service, children are invited forward to hear a special children’s message, usually from the clergy. Then they head downstairs for time with the Child & Youth Minister. The activities include a Bible story, games and crafts.
Our program is aimed at children ages 4 to 12, though older children are always welcome to help. Some children are ready at age 3 to participate in Junior Church but we ask that parents accompany them to help them become comfortable in the activities.
We are happy to welcome new or visiting students at any time of the year, and students are always welcome to bring a friend. Parents may also join the group for part or all of the session. Parents are asked to come downstairs at the end of the service to retrieve their children. Once a month (usually the first Sunday), children come upstairs to receive blessing during Communion.
Throughout the year we organize “Family Services” where the students often present a reading or sing.
Things We Do
- Bell ringing on your birthday
- Nativity Play
- Singing at special events
- Movie Nights
- Bake sales
- Lending library
- Field trips (Black Creek Pioneer Village, Ste. Marie among the Hurons, the ROM, the zoo, live theatre, Ripley’s Aquarium, movies)
A large focus of our ministry is on giving. In the past we have donated our Advent and Lenten offerings to organizations such as
- Christmas cards for St. Olave’s seniors
- Toronto Fire Services Toy Drive
- Sleeping Children Around the World
- Right to Play
- York Community Services
- Toronto Star Santa Claus Fund
- Canadian Christian Children’s Fund
- The Stop Food Centre
- Syme/Woolner Centre
- IN Network Orphanage in Bangladesh
- Kathy Langston’s Romanian orphanage
- Toronto Star Fresh Air Fund
Our children have been featured in the Toronto Star for raising money towards the Fresh Air Fund. View the article here.